GRandJazzFest 2012 was enormously successful in its inaugural year of 2012 – and the festival will be back in 2013, expanded to two days! Mark your calendars for August 17 and 18, 2013!
GRandJazzFest 2012’s successes:
- A diverse audience of more than 4,000 at Rosa Parks Circle in downtown Grand Rapids. People of all ages, races and socioeconomic levels enjoyed a full day of FREE, live jazz. They came from as far away as Rhode Island, Kansas City, Dayton, Boston, Traverse City and Chicago.
- Local businesses reported to the Downtown Alliance excellent sales and positive economic impact:
- “It was like a mini-ArtPrize day. Wonderful music, the right people/audience and a great day of business!” – Tre Cugini
- “Our Saturday was our second busiest since we opened in May. … and we had a blast listening to the music!” – Kilwins
- “The jazz fest was well received by our hotel guests. We need more types of these events downtown!” – The JW Marriott
- “This was a huge success for us. We did triple what we would have normally done on a Saturday. I’m really grateful to Audrey and the organizers for their support of downtown businesses. They did a great job with media coverage and encouraged the public to support us.” – The Dog Pit
- Use of local suppliers for all of the festival needs: sound, printing, graphic design, event organization.
- Enthusiastic volunteers, many who plan to volunteer in 2013.
- Extensive, positive media coverage of GRandJazzFest before, during and after the festival. Check out the coverage in our online Newsroom
- And this wonderful video recapping the event
How did GRandJazzFest come about?
As a jazz enthusiasts, Audrey Sundstrom and her husband Greg Sundstrom and their friends have attended many jazz concerts and festivals, including a free festival every year in southeast Michigan. in 2012, Audrey fulfilled a longtime dream of bringing her vision of a free, major jazz festival to Grand Rapids and West Michigan. GRandJazzFest was the first jazz festival of its kind in West Michigan.
Who’s involved with GRandJazzFest?
- Audrey Sundstrom is the founder/chair of GRandJazzFest.
- GRandJazzFest is a community event of the nonprofit organization “GR and Jazz.”
- The nonprofit organization is comprised of Audrey Sundstrom and other jazz enthusiasts.
- The committee putting on the inaugural festival is comprised of community members and professionals who have an interest in a jazz festival in Grand Rapids.